expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

30 April 2006

Colored Toilet Paper

By now you realize that I love the 60's and 70's. One of the things I love the most when it comes to popular design in those days is the unabashed use of color in just about everything.

I don't know exactly when sterile, boring white came back in style, but I'm really sick of it. Take appliancs for example: kitchen appliances use to come in all sorts of cool colors: Gold, Brown, Avocado, Red, etc. Now? White. Black. Oh yeah, and stainless steel. How exciting...

So, knowing how much I appreciate color, and how much I detest white, you can imagine my surprise, and, oddly enough, my delight in having seen colored toilet paper while in Paris last summer. I really flipped out! I even brought back some pink tissue...

Colored toliet paper was removed from most North American markets when it was rumored that the dyes caused allergies and just weren't "good for you"... I'd be willing to bet that bleached white toilet paper is just about as toxic.

We live in a society where nothing is "good for you" anymore. I even read an article that warns against food charbroiled on the barbecue. The burnt part is supposed to be carcinogenic. There are no little guilty pleasures left in life. Like flame-broiled steaks.

Or pink toilet paper.

photos: www.stephens-wholesale.co.uk

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger clunkygirl said...

I am here to tell you that I just last week discovered Scott makes colored toilet paper!!! It comes available in blue, green and pink. The packing indicates a Spanish-speaking market as it reads "suaves colores" (soft colors) but I found it at Albertsons, a large grocery store. Of course I bought some.

Since we're on the subject, remember the Northern girls? My favorite was the one for the green paper, she had black hair... ah, childhood.

8:53 pm  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →