expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

12 August 2006

The 1959 Cadillac

I just got a car, and although I love it, a 2003 Mazda Protegé 5 is not exactly the stuff of retro blog posts...

The 1959 Cadillac, however, is about as retro as you can get! Perhaps the most famous car design in automotive history, the 1959 Cadillacs hold an important place in modern popular culture. They are about as apple pie as Marilyn Monroe or Elvis Presley.

In the 1950's, Cadillac was the undisputed leader in automobile design. During that decade, the North American economy was bouncing back from the Great Depression and World War II. Optimism reigned as America entered the Space Age, and suddenly luxury and splendor were back in vogue. No longer just for transportation, cars and their designs displayed a growing attention to style.

These lavish designs reached their peak with the 1959 Cadillac. The most famous feature of this car was the extravagant 12-inch fins with rocket tail lights. Cadillac ads at the time featured these prominently...

As a kid, I was always fascinated by these beautiful cars, and I've always dreamt of owning one someday...

images: (top) plan59.com
(bottom) 1959cadillac.com

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Le Citadin said...

I really like the beack-end "Batmobile" look.

10:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never owned a cadillac, however my very first car the I paid for myself was a 1959 (used) big black Buick. Which was placed on some sort of pedestal with a large sign over it saying it was the "Special of the Day" for the grand total of $99.00 US. This car had fins on the rear tail lights that stood out like a sore thumb. The funny thing about it is that the car's ignition would only start by stepping on the gas pedel. I had many of laughs when others tried to start my car, they were looking all over for a starter button, cause the key didn't do anything but activate the gas pedel thingy.

11:11 pm  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

I had a friend who wanted to get rid of a 1976 Buick LeSabre he owned. It was as big as hell, and I was really tempted to buy it from him.

Seeing as I know NOTHING about car mechanics and repair, I decided against it.

Besides, where (and how) do you park a car THAT big?

12:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the woman's dress!!

Mom.

1:14 pm  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →