expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

22 July 2006

Canadian Pulp and Paper Pavilion

This is one of my favorite pavilions!

The architecture of the Canadian Pulp and Paper pavilion was that of a groovy, stylized forest. There were 44 treetops, the tallest of which reached the height of an 8-storey building. A sculpture on the outside of the pavilion symbolized an unwinding roll of paper.

This pavilion was dedicated to one of Canada's richest natural resources: forests and their derived products.

There were 4 major exhibits in this pavilion. The first section used whimsical sound effects and animation to describe forest legends across the world. The second section included 2 unusual theatres, with walls that suggested huge unwinding rolls of paper. The third section described the Pulp and Paper Industry's impact on the Canadian Economy.

The final section, Lab 67, was presented as a science whiz show. Lively demonstrations dealt with the chemical aspect of paper production, including it's unlimited future uses. Visitors could also see French Canadian artisans creating paper by hand.

photos: (top) alamedainfo.com
(bottom) FOS productions

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that sculpture now located on Sherbrooke street, outside the offices of a pulp-and-paper company?

5:14 pm  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

Intriguing! I don't know for sure...

What I do know is that many Expo 67 sculptures were moved and have found new homes in many various locations.

The "people" sculptures of the British pavilion are now located in Calgary, for example.

It is a definite possibility that the Pulp and Paper sculpture could be located where you say it is...

11:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason,

I left you a msg on your youtube entry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88S_N6O_sY

I don’t know if you got a chance to view it yet, but if you haven’t I am also
a Expo67 fan along with all of the world’s fairs in the since 1939.

I had the pleasure of attending Expo67 when I was about 14-15 years old. We made three different trips to Montreal in that year so that we could see almost everything.
This is an event that I will never forget. I collect Expo67 and other world’s fair memorabilia from E-Bay when I have the funds to do so. My mother has a small suit case of pamphlets and brochures along with menus from most of the restaurants where we dined.

So…. I am not alone, we share the same interest in Expo, and we have home movies that were taken on an old Kodak Super8 movie camera of Expo, I have them transferred to VHS tape, and now I want to look into transferring them over to digital. I hope I can do this in the near future.

Thanks for sharing your interest!
Chas – from southern New Jersey

2:11 am  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

Welcome fellow Expo 67 fan!

Thank you for both messages on Youtube and here, on my Expo blog!

Expo 67 has been my passion for 10 years, and I am glad to share it with others via this blog...

Stay tuned for more from the Expo Lounge...

6:36 am  
Blogger Tribull said...

It's interesting to see how computers were to save paperworks. I'm working in an office and we had a few problems with computer glitches and viruses. We're now so afaid of loosing data, we print a safety copy of everything on paper just in case... The impact is worst for our forest en environment. I think paper is still the safest and most reliable way to save data. Inconceivable in the sixties visions of the future, but in the 21st century that resource must be protected more than ever.

8:57 am  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →