expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

15 February 2007

The General Expo 67 Hostess

"How do I look?"

Each country represented at Expo 67 hired its own hostesses.

There were also general hostesses, employed by the Canadian Corporation for the 1967 World Exhibition, who were stationed at 15 strategic information booths throughout Expo. These girls answered visitors' questions, guiding them to all the sights that Expo 67 had to offer.

General hostesses at parliament in Ottawa.

The general hostess uniform was designed by Montreal designer Michel Robichaud. It consisted of a conservative light blue Fortrel polyester suit, which was worn with a hat and gloves (of course).

A brooch of the Man and His World emblem completed the ensemble.

A rainy-day raincoat was also included as part of the hostesses' uniforms, with a hood that reminds me of Emilio Pucci's Space Bubble helmets...

Variations of the official hostess uniform, including, a mod rain coat (left).

images: library and archives Canada

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I've been an Expo fan since I was a teenager. I was born too late, but made my parents take me to Montreal so I could visit the ruins, and eventually I moved here.

I've seen your videos on YouTube, and have just found your blog. Cheers.

10:58 pm  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

Welcome, Puck, to the Expo Lounge.

I never actually saw Expo, either (I was born in '77), but my interest in it is immense.

With the advent of Web 2.0 and blogs, I can fully explore this passion to it's outer limits.

And best of all, I can share it with others...

Thank you for your comment.

7:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's excellent to be able to watch old movies of Expo. When I first got into it, all I had was a book from the school library and my imagination. (The book was "Remember Expo" by Robert Fulford.)

Would you mind if I put a link to your blog on mine?

8:07 am  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

I have multiple copies (including a french one) of "Remember Expo"... Great book...

And, by all means, feel free to link my blog on yours...

9:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Link added. My blog's at http://pucksprattle.wordpress.com/ - I do quite a bit of retro stuff as well, mainly 70s though.

9:36 am  
Blogger mod*mom said...

those hats are a scream!

12:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My aunt was an Expo hostess and I remember thinking that uniform was the coolest thing ever.

12:45 pm  
Anonymous Nicole Blondin Fleming said...

I was lucky to be chosen as an " official" Expo Hostess .

I was wondering if there is a blog or a group of Hostesses that I could join. I moved away from Montreal at the end of Expo ..and for good in 1970 . Although I still have family and friends in MTL....I do not have access to all the happenings !
This by far was the best JOB that I ever have ...beside manning the informations booths , we took care of the VIP for the entire time that they visited MTL...from picking them up at their hotel, to showing the site and the own! We were also on the podium for each of the special Country days that were celebrated each day of Expo...most time with the head of State of that country being the representative. I got to meet and see from close the President of the US , governors of Maine and so may others that I now forget.
My main regret is that I did not keep a diary of that time ....we had to give back our uniforms ,shoes etc ..but I still have my pin!

12:38 pm  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →