expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

29 November 2008

Sesame Street's Funky Chimes



This is possibly my favorite song, ever.

Created sometime in the early 70's, this musical interlude was featured at the end of Sesame Street episodes. Nicknamed "Funky Chimes", the tune was placed between the show's final credits and the PBS identification.

When Funky Chimes was retired in the early 1990's, I thought I'd never hear my beloved wah-wah electric guitar and tubular bells ever again. With the advent of the Internet (where you can truly find anything), I've stumbled upon a high quality extended version, created by Youtube user roboshuffle...

Needless to say, I love it!

I've extracted the audio and converted it to mp3 format, so I can enjoy Funky Chimes on my iPod whenever I want...

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always loved this. It's really quite a sexy piece.

1:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you "extract the audio" and convert it to the ipod - i'd like to do the same.

7:10 am  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

I used keepvid.com to download the video to my desktop (in mp4 format).

I opened the movie in Quicktime, then clicked >"File" >"Export" and saved the file to my desktop as "Sound to AIFF".

I opened the file in itunes (by dragging it from the desktop). Once in itunes, I highlighted the song and clicked >"Advanced" >"Create MP3 version". I then trashed the AIFF version.

Voila!

8:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bet it would make an awesome ring tone chime for your cell phone too !!! Brings back lots of memories - cool stuff,

5:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this song, but it made me said as that meant Sesame Street was over :)

You have to like this Sesame Street funk classic, Pinball Number Count:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgocE-JfWFI

9:35 am  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

I LOVE the Pinball Number Count!

9:47 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

This isn't actually complete, its just looped. There is a more truly "extended" version from episode 1095 where the wah-wah guitar and bass gets a little more wild toward the end.
you might want to embed this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3w5ZB-CAsw

11:27 am  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

Awesome... Thanks for sharing!

4:03 pm  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →