expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

21 February 2009

Tupperware

Tupperware was invented by Earl Silas Tupper in the mid-1940's. Originally a DuPont chemist, Tupper developed his liquid proof, airtight plastic containers by mimicking the lids of paint cans.

Tupper experimented with department store sales, but as Businessweek reported in 1954, "in retail stores [Tupperware] fell flat on its face."

Plastic containers were still a new phenomenon at that time, and it became clear that they required explanation or demonstration... Enter Brownie Wise.

Detroit-native Brownie Wise had been selling household products for the Stanley Home Products company in the late 1940's. Purchasing through local distributors, Wise began to offer Tupperware as part of her product line, and by 1948, she was moving enough Tupperware to attract Earl Tupper's attention. The 2 met, along with several other distributors, to discuss a new distribution plan. Based on the home party plan pioneered by Stanley Home Products, Wise refined and expanded the concept, and the ubiquitous "Tupperware party" was born. Even today, this direct marketing strategy remains the exclusive outlet for Tupperware.

By the 1950s, sales and popularity of Tupperware exploded.

At a time where women came back from working during World War II, only to be told to "go back to the kitchen", Tupperware became a method of female empowerment. Brownie Wises' influence among women, as well as the lavish gifts and parties designed to motivate Tupperware representatives, all contributed to the company's success.

Tupperware's biggest party was the yearly Jubilee. To this day, the Jubilee continues, with rallies being held in major cities to recognize and reward top-selling demonstrators, managers and distributorships...



images: (1 and 3) tupperdiva.com
(2-4-5) flickr.com

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, you had me going to check for any Tupperware stuff in my kitchen after reading this (sure enough I have some 60's vintage).

Oh, and here might be the perfect musical companion for any Tupperware party.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Lounge-Vol-11-Organs-Orbit/dp/B000002U4S

Pluche

10:43 pm  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

I LOVE the Ultra-Lounge series! And, yes, I do have a Tupperware party playlist prepared... ;-)

8:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far I have Mondo Exotica, Cocktail Capers, Space Capades, Bachelor Pad Royale, Bongoland and Organs in Orbit. The latter being my favorite. These records are incredible as much for their crystal-clear audio than their funky cover designs.

and somehow, I sorta knew that you had some playlist prepared. ;)

10:07 pm  
Blogger vivian said...

Hi, my name is Vivian, and im an architecture student at McGill. I'm writing a paper on Expo 67 and fashion, and I was reading through your blog, and I'm interesting in talking to you more about the subject. My email is shao.chen@mail.mcgill.ca. Please let me know if you are willing to answer a few questions! The paper is due in less than two weeks, so if i can get an answer asap, it would be great. Thank you!

2:24 pm  
Blogger Thomas said...

Hi Jason, My name is Thomas Strickland and I am a PhD candidate at McGill University. I am working on a project that looks at the intersection of medicine, architecture and pop culture in the 1960's and 70's. So, of coarse, I have to include a chapter on the Man and His Health Pavilion at Expo 67. I have found plans and pics of the architecture but have very little information on the exhibit inside the pavilion - other than a few pics from your web site and some mags. You are the best source of info on Expo 67 out there that I have found. Can you offer some suggestions as to where I can look for interior exhibit information?

Thank you

9:11 am  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →