expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

8 February 2007

Madonna Inferno

Since I was a kid, I've worshipped Madonna (or Madge, as the brits call her). With her recent foray into retro-disco (complete with Farrah Fawcett hair), she's tapped into one of my favorite eras: the late 1970's.

Madonna struts her retro stuff in the video for Hung Up.

With the 2005 release of the album Confessions on a Dacefloor, Madge (with fab producer Stuart Price) went back to the days of ABBA and Donna Summer, to create a sound that was both modern and retro. [Both aforementioned muscial legends are felt on Madonna's album: an ABBA sample is featured on her single "Hung Up" and an "I Feel Love" inspired beat is the backdrop for "Future Lovers". On tour, Madge even sang portions of "I Feel Love" during her "Future Lovers" performance].

My favorite disco-inspired cover art: the Sorry maxi-single.

The cherry on the retro-sundae for me was Madonna's live performance of Music during last summer's Confessions Tour. Madge sang to the beat of the Trammps' Disco Inferno, while boogie-ing in a John-Travolta white leisure suit. Her daredevil dancers did roller-tricks wearing authentic 70's skates. I was fortunate enough to see the Confessions Tour when it came to Montreal last June, and this song was the highlight of the show for me...

Strike a pose: Madonna channels John Travolta during Music Inferno.

Watch and see Madge in all her Saturday Night Fever glory:



images: (1-2) sources unknown
(3) madonnalicious.com

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger stinkypaw said...

She's in a league of her own, always was and always will be!

12:16 pm  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

Words cannot express my love for Madonna!

1:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just witnessed "Madge" with her Disco Inferno randition...if you don't take Aunite Mousse to the next concert..(which I would kill for a performance next week) then I will have not witnessed one of the most spectular preformers for the past 25 years in my life time....we've date, nephew !!! Mousse xoxox

7:44 pm  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

Nothing could stop me from seeing her again in concert.

And with my dearest auntie, how fab!

8:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have the DVD/CD set, and of course I ripped the CD to listen to it on my MP3 player. Music Inferno is the best music for walking down the street. Give you attitude.

7:08 pm  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →