expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

1 May 2006

Vintage Pattern Illustrations

I really love vintage sewing pattern illustrations.

Part cartoon, part fashion illustration, home sewing patterns from the 1950's and 60's had some really great artwork.

What I love about these drawings is how well they depict the fashion ideal of an era, but with a bit of a housewife twist.

I just love the bouffant hairstyles and the domestic diva/drama queen poses!


These illustrations served the same purpose as mannequins in store windows: to seduce the customer into buying an image. Being a window dresser for the last five years, I have a deep appreciation and understanding of the power of these images.

Whenever I'm at a bazaar or garage sale, I hunt out these treasures. They usualy sell for pennies...

image: www.lanetzliving.net

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →