expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

5 May 2006

Michèle Richard

My love for Michèle Richard may take more than one post to explain...

Michèle Richard is a french-canadian singer, born in Sherbrooke, Quebec in 1946. Michèle's singing career began when she was 10 years old, after appearing on her father's local TV show.

The peak of her popularity was in the 1960's, where Michèle, in her late teens and early twenties, brought miniskirts and go go boots to french Canada. Michèle's success lay in her ability to deliver the mod sound of the swinging sixties to her teen Quebecois audience.

Her hits included french covers of such artists as the Beatles, Sonny and Cher and the Supremes, to name a few. These songs were pure 60's pop, dealing with boyfriends, break-ups, and having fun.

She could be seen every week performing these hits on the teen variety show, "Jeunesse d'aujourd'hui" (inspired by the "American Bandstand" concept).

Her overwhelming popularity at that time lead her to win the coveted award of Miss radio/télévision at the Gala des artistes in 1967.

Michèle was asked to record the official Expo 67 theme song, composed by Stephane Venne with english lyrics by Marcel Stellman. The 45 record included the original french version "Un jour un jour" on side A as well as it's english counterpart, "Hey Friend Say Friend" on the B side.

I first discovered Michèle Richard a few years ago, after I met my boyfriend. He introduced me to Québecois pop culture, which, growing up anglophone, I was not very familiar with.

I first fell in love with her song "Les boîtes à go go", a french version of Dave Clark Five's "At the Scene". The beat is infectious, the lyrics a plea to go out and have fun... I was curious to find out more about this cool mod girl! And, like Expo 67 itself, the more I found out, the more I fell in love.

My passion for Michèle Richard is carried over from my passion for Expo 67; the two belong together in my mind. Michèle seduced me with with her smile, the way she tilted her head. My favorite picture of her (just above) is the perfect example. Her girl next door quality exuded the optimism and joie de vivre of Quebec in the late 1960's, the way Expo 67 did.

photos: Michèle Richard "Les années 60" CD cover art

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool picture of MR! This is one I haven't seen before.

S.

7:28 am  
Blogger Dansmoncafe said...

Love your blog :-) I hope it's okay I used your Michéle bio for my site :-)

dansmoncafe

6:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures of Michele!

6:33 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

The car that's barely visible on the left is just like my first car, a '68 Buick Wildcat!

3:42 am  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →