expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

22 May 2006

Minirail '67

When I imagine myself visiting Expo 67 (and you know I do), I always imagine myself riding around on the Minirail.

The "Minirail" was a system of small trains that circled Expo on an elevated track. There were 2 types of trains: the blue line Monorail, with larger cars and a more extensive route, and the yellow line Minirail.

Not intended to be a fast and efficient mode of transport, the Minirail offered a slow, panoramic view of Expo. It rode over water, under waterfalls, even through the U.S. geodesic dome!

La Ronde, the amusement park from Expo 67, is still in operation today, as is it's yellow line Minirail. I go to La Ronde every year, and it's become my ritual to first tour the entire park by Minirail before going on any other rides.

On uncrowded days, I stay on the Minirail for 2 to 3 turns. I always sit near the end of the train, facing forward, to get a good view of the train itself, as well as the site... I sit back and imagine myself at Expo 67...

To see the La Ronde Minirail today click here.





images: (1 and 3) library and archives Canada
(2) Bill Dutfield

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger stinkypaw said...

Can you believe that I didn't know that the minirail was still working at La Ronde? I haven't been there in years... actually I don't remember the last time I was there...

10:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was 6 when Expo was on...we all had our passports and went every single weekend!! I was terrified of the minirail and refused to go on...my sister and dad would ride it all the time and I'd stay safe on the ground with mom.

Your blog has brought back so many memories for me...thank you!!

Suzie
a Montrealer living in the Netherlands

9:26 am  
Blogger Tribull said...

It's interesting to know that the yellow minirail still in use at La Ronde is much older than EXPO67 itself! These were used at the Lausanne's 1964 National Exibition in Switzerland. At the time they were not automated and needed an operator in each train. They were improved and upgraded with automatic control for EXPO67. So they are now 43 year old and still running! Who said these transport systems were only toys? By the way, I wonder what happened to the blue minirail after EXPO67?

9:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what happen to the Monorail.
It sat in storage for 30 years just off the island of Montreal and then it was cut up into
pieces to be sold as scrap. Sad to watch !
I was able to save one of the panels with the Expo symbol on it.

8:35 pm  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →