expo 67 lounge

Mid-century fashion, vintage pop culture and retro cool... from Expo 67 and beyond.

13 May 2006

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

Long before my career in window dressing, I went to hairdressing school. (I know, I know... hairdresser, window dresser... next career: florist!)

I went to hairdressing school about ten years ago. I have to say my parents sent me to the best (and surely most expensive) school in Montreal.

I absolutely loved hairdressing school. What struck me was how archaic our curriculum was. Our course subjects included "hair setting" and "pin curling", while "creme rinse" and "cold wave" were among the technical terms used!

We had customers who actually paid money to have their hair ruined... er, styled, by us students.

I must have convinced every customer I had to let me set their hair on rollers. Roller setting was the way of styling hair in the 50's and 60's... Jackie Kennedy's fabulous bouffant hairdos were achieved this way.

To roller set, wet hair is sprayed with setting lotion and wound on rollers held with clips. The customer is then tortured under a hot hair dryer for an hour or more, sometimes, depending on hair length and thickness.

Once the hair is completely dry, it's brushed out to loosen the crunchy curls, and then teased to high heaven! I love teasing hair, and I had great satisfaction in styling my victims, er... customers.

No matter what my clients asked for, when they got up from my chair, they resembled Annette Funicello, circa 1964!


photos: www.hairarchives.com

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger stinkypaw said...

Interesting posts! I love to read about how things got to be the way that we know them, so thank you for this very informative post about the Katimavik.

The hair of the 50-60's is so fascinating to me! The style of it all was so "madame bien coiffée", it HAD style, what has basically disapeared in today's hairstyle (just look at me!) ;-D

And what to say about the Beehive! Waiting for that post!

12:19 pm  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

I've always been a wealth of useless information, so this blog is a great outlet for me.

I'm glad to see that others find it interesting!

12:58 pm  
Blogger Hudarling said...

Hey i like ur post! *wink*

8:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, of all the times you tuna'd me into getting my hair done, I never had a roller set! I feel left out somehow....

Mom.

7:41 am  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

Mom, your hair is too thick! If I would've roller set it, you'd have had a 'fro!

8:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took cosmetology in high school. It enabled me to upkeep my elaborate Siouxsie-esque hair style at the time. I was struggling with my sense of artistic integrity though. It was 1986-88 and everyone who came into our solon wanted permed mullets. I could not go through with it....I ended up becoming a dog groomer instead! I never met a dog that wanted a mullet!!!!

8:08 am  
Blogger Jason Stockl said...

I kinda like mullets, but more mowhawk-esque...;-D

7:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Home

← Older Posts

Newer Posts →